Saturday 26 September 2009

Urocelus gigas

Giant Wood Wasp.

What a whopper!  Late this afternoon I went into the kitchen to prepare for the onslaught of No 2's daughters freinds for a sleepover.  In a large vase on the window sill was this enormous Hornet looking beast.  At about 30mm long, it turned out thanks to The Childrens Mother, to be a Giant Wood Wasp.  The scary looking 'sting' is in fact an ovipositor, used to lay eggs in rotten wood.  Thank goodness!  I have a thing about wasps and bees after several painful encounters in the past.  I will release it into our little wood in the morning.


At the yard tonight I couldn't resist this shot.

5 comments:

  1. I'm sure you're right, but I'd still be treating it with respect!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am assured that these guys are not harmful - but still keep my distance. Egg layers or not that thing is scary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like a monster to me! Fascinating though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a mean looking beast, regardless of what it does with that thing at the rear...

    ReplyDelete
  5. That didn't work, try again:-
    http://jansespaceonblogger.blogspot.com/2009/07/wasps-nest.html
    If that doesn 't work, I give up!

    ReplyDelete