Thursday 1 October 2009

Yet More Fungi

It has been a glorious day here in Darkest Northumberland, the onset of Autumn didn't prevent 11 hours of wall to wall sunshine!


The morning was taken up with vaccinations for the ponies but after lunch and a few chores, I took myself and the terrier up to Slaley Forrest en-route to the cottage and hen and donkey feeding.  We had a good hours walk, after eighteen months of lethargy it was great to walk with some energy in my albeit weak legs.

The terrier found lots of rabbits to chase, while I found some wonderful fungi,  Fly Agric (Amanita muscaria). Wonderful but poisonous!!


I am not certain about this one though.  I think that it is probably a Sickener (Russula emetica), which while not poisonous, as the name suggests, induces vomiting!  A large fungi, at about five inches in diameter in this mature state, I thought that the gills were really interesting, so strongly structured but just so delicate. 

If you look closely, you can just make out some tiny flies sticking to the gills.  I can't decide if they were just stuck or had been laying eggs?

3 comments:

  1. I'm thinking 'don't put that in my next mushroom paella'! The little flies PROBABLY know what they're doing......

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great images. I love the papery texture of the gills.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yet more fine fungi. Russula emetica is a great name. For a fungus. Maybe not so much for a girl...

    ReplyDelete